Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Introduction

First post, here it goes.
My name is Cameron Cox, I do many things in life but their are probably 3 things that define me. One, I am a father of 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl, and for the sake of their identities I do not plan on giving any more detail. Two, I am a drummer. I have been playing drums since the sixth grade, now totaling 16 years. I have developed my skills more so in the past 6 years than in the past 10. Music is a passion of mine and I love being behind a drum kit. Finally, and hopefully what this blog will mostly be about, I am a IT guy. I have been working in IT since 2005, pulling network cables and repairing peoples personal PCs. As of late, I have been able to take my career down the path I have been aiming at for the last 3 years. My true IT passion is Microsoft's System Center, and currently I am the System Center Configuration Manager Administrator at a certain hospital in the DFW area. Among other things, I also handle Group Policy, Active Directory, and several other general System Administration tools. 

I know it may seem odd to be passionate about this one Microsoft tool, but one of the biggest problems I face as a Systems Administrator is a lack of processes. Even if you work for a company that has every process possible, if those processes are people dependent 9 times out of 10 they are not being enforced. If they are enforced, its still a pain for them to be processed manually. As a typical IT guy, one of the things I look for in my day to day are task I can do with scripts, especially PowerShell scripts. When you can take a multi-step process and narrow it down to just a double click, or better yet schedule it and forget about it, it generally makes my life 100 times better. Well, System Center can do that but on a whole different level. It can do the small stuff, but it also can help you completely automate your on-boarding process or off-boarding process, just as an example, and your HR systems don't even need to be SQL servers, of course that makes things easier. 

That's a little bit about me, more on myself and System Center later. I think I will give an example I put together for an on-boarding scenario at an old job for my next post. Just to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Thanks for reading!
DadDrummerITGuru\Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment